Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sugar High

Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake
My local grocery store (it's Thrifty's for those of you who'd want to know) has been doing an ongoing Bogo event, so far I have stocked up on not only the essentials like fresh chicken breast and beans, but on stuff that I know I'll use sometime down the road...like ice cream and marshmallows. We like our treats to be homemade around here and so a package of marshmallows have already been immediately used to make pan of Rice Krispie squares. I was hoping to save the other bags (yes, I said bags...with an "s"!) for when fall/winter rolls around and the hot chocolate is flowing. Or when another pan of Rice Krispie squares are in order. But thanks to my baking idol, Joy the Baker, I've been making a ton of Toasted Marshmallow Milkshakes!! You can find the recipe here. But let me forewarn you...these are highly addictive!! I've been making them all week...and I'm lactose intolerant!

The first few attempts at making this milkshake didn't result in milkshakes at all. Why? Look at these bad boys!!

Toasted Marshmallows

Freakin' yummy!! Yeah, these marshmallows didn't go anywhere near ice cream, that's for sure! Instead they went from the baking pan straight into my mouth!! I'm not ashamed to admit this. Really, I'm not. Anyhoo, I'm not as fortunate as Joy to have a gas range (although, I did have one in my last place...and boy, do I ever miss that stove terribly. Along with the convection oven that made my baking turn out in pure perfection) so I had to toast my marshmallows in the oven. I'm definitely not a fan of this method, since the marshmallows can't keep their shape after the toasting process but it's definitely faster than having to toast them one at a time. Another thing I didn't do: I didn't use my blender. It's so heavy and such a hassle to wash that I decided to save the trouble and just use my trusty hand-held immersion mixer. Man, I love that thing!

When I finally did stop eating the marshmallows long enough to make the milkshakes, the first attempt was a little iffy. I got really impatient (and was sooo tempted to shove the marshmallows into my mouth!) and didn't let the marshmallows cool down enough before dropping them into my bowl. Note to self: warm marshmallows will clump up into a sugary mass when it hits the cold ice cream! I let it sit for another minute and tried again. The results? Pure heaven. In a glass!

Next time, I think I'll give this recipe a try...

PS: I promise there will be some yarny goodness in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...