Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mommy Moments

I've been battling with the nastiest cold known to mankind for the past week and a bit. I just started to feel somewhat better yesterday! I'm just glad that neither Brett or the Munchkin caught it. Last thing I need is for this evil sickness to recycle itself over and over in my household!

In the meantime I've been putting off all things crafty to the hour before my bedtime, and been busy doing my Mommy duties and have been (successfully!) trying to put the Munchkin down for both naps and bedtime without having to stay in the room/holding him for hours/lying down with him. Yes, I know, all bad habits that Brett and I have developed with our son. But we're trying to break out of it and so far it's been a week and has been going pretty darn well! But now that I've said that tonight might go all wrong for us at bedtime! Brett has had a slightly harder time than me with putting the Munchkin to bed. I normally give a ton of hugs and kisses while carrying the wee one to bed before firmly claiming it's bed/nap time, putting the Munchkin into bed, and shutting the door. Yes, there are tears but I wait 5 minutes before going in for the reassuring, but the crying never goes on long enough for me to have to go in, my baby is fast asleep! Yet Brett will usually have to go in 4-5 times before the Munchkin falls asleep. Poor Brett.

I've also been trying to wean the Munchkin off of the extra nursings. My goal is to continue breastfeeding him 'til he's at least 2 years old, but would now prefer to have to nurse him when he wakes up and before he goes to bed. Lately the little one has been shunning all solid foods (except for Digestive cookies) in favor of the breast, much to my dismay. So for the past few days I've been rubbing lemons over my nipples in hopes of getting rid of the extra and unnecessary feeds. It worked like a charm for the first day, but now my son is showing his utterly stubborn side and will wince/gag/suffer through the few seconds of the lemony tart grossness in order to get his boob! I'm a little hesitant about putting vinegar on my nipples, but if I want these excessive feeds to stop, I'm thinking I'm going to have to go that route.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. It's been a long time so I can hardly remember with my kids, but I did need them to nurse less as I went back to work after a year....

    I think when I wasn't around, they mostly just coped, and ate food instead, but definitely wanted to nurse when I picked them up. I also offered water or soymilk in sippy cups as an alternative, and they both seemed to like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy!
    When I'm not around the kidlet copes with not having the boob readily available and is content with his sippy cup of water...but after an 8 hour period all hell breaks loose and he wants the boob pronto!

    I've been experimenting with different milks, in hopes that the wee one takes a liking to one of them. So far nothing is sticking. He's gotten to the point where he wants to nurse so badly that his stubborn side takes over and he'll bite the bullet and suffer for the few seconds of sour lemon in order to get the milk. *sigh*

    But thanks for the tip! Hope to see you at knit night sometime soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...