Friday, November 6, 2009

Um...hello?

Yeah, I'm still here. I know it's been a week since I've posted last, but it's been super busy around here! It really didn't help that last weekend just also happened to be a Halloween weekend too. Then there was Brett's hectic work schedule that had him working early and late with big breaks throughout the day (like split shifts), and then the little one was feeling under the weather which developed into a persistent fever a few nights ago. I haven't been feeling so great either, I'm thinking this is partly due to the lack of sun. Whatever it is, I feel like all my energy has been drained from me. So there has been no blogging, no emailing, no knitting, no sewing, no crafting in general, all week!

Another major event (to me, that is) that had happened last weekend, that has prevented me from doing anything remotely fun, was my last minute decision to return to the work force. It's only part-time, as in only 12 hours a week part-time, give or take a few hours here and there. A while back, after a lot of discussions, Brett and I had decided that daycare was way too pricey as essentially one of us would be working to put the little guy in daycare, even though putting him in daycare would allow us to work. It just seemed like a vicious cycle. So we decided that I would stay home with our little one 'til he could at least start attending pre-school. But I have to admit, as much as I love and adore my sweet child, I need a break as well! Being able to go to my knitting group once a week just wasn't cutting it for me, I needed more adult interaction and conversation than that! This is where having a job steps in. Not to mention the fact that Brett refuses to "support" my addictions - my addictions to fabric and yarn, that is. Which is completely understandable, since a couple weeks ago I kinda went a little crazy and bought an armload of yarn that I really didn't need, and to top it off I had spied some yummy Japanese fabrics that just begged to be part of my fabric collection...

Anyways, since Victoria isn't chock-full of fashion-related jobs (and no, working retail is not an option), I decided to go back to a job that I knew I could do blindfolded with my hands tied behind my back. A job (and company) that always manages to suck me back in (damn you extended benefits!), allows me to have quite the flexible schedule (I'm only working Sunday and Monday mornings), and will not be paying me minimum wage (even though I voluntarily stepped down from shift supervisor). Yes...I'm back working as a simple barista.

So because of this turn of events, I have to really prioritize my time and projects. All week I've been glued to my sketchbook/journal trying to map out my precious time and breaking up my projects by importance. There's a ton of things I would love to get done, but am a bit worried of burning myself out.

Anyone got any advice on how to avoid "mommy burn-out"? Or "burn-out" in general?

4 comments:

  1. How exciting to be back at work! I know what you mean about juggling. I don't have any children but balancing work, uni and trying to get projects finished is hard. The good thing is you enjoy your crafting time more because your not doing it all the time.

    Thanks for the comment on my etsy shop post. We really do think a like don't we! I was hoping to open my shop at the start of October but got sidetracked so it turned into November. I just hope my stuff sells!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about a playgroup in your area? It may give you a little break from your little guy PLUS, socializationis always a plus with others his age...and at the same time you can have some adult interaction!? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Work related: Know when to say "no". I'm working on that myself, but getting better! People need to know that you are not a robot and can't do everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat:
    I just hope that I can find the time to do some crafting! Even now with a little one around, I completely enjoy my crafting time. I definitely don't take it for granted! I still kick myself in the butt whenever I think about the time I first moved to Victoria and when I was pregnant...both of those periods left me with A LOT of time on my hands and what did I do? Nothing! I could've been crafting! Instead, I think I watched a lot of TV, baked, and surfed the net for things I couldn't afford. I shake my head to this day...

    Kim:
    I'm still on a search for a playgroup in my area. Unfortunately I live in an area of the city where all the elderly folk like to live, so all playgroups that I did find are now no longer due to very small numbers. I just wish I knew how to drive Brett's standard truck! But thanks for the good luck wishes!

    Steph:
    Yes...I definitely need to learn how to use that word...and often! I'm just glad that I had put my foot down and am only working 12 hours a week, if that. Now I just need to learn how to say "no" in my day-to-day living...and not only that, but to be more assertive! Ugh, haven't we been saying this since Kwantlen??

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...