Saturday, April 12, 2008

Unfinished Business

For the past month and a bit I've picked up knitting again, and have also decided to teach myself how to do cables. I've always wanted to learn how to do cables but was always intimidated by them, thinking they were uber hard and time consuming. Well, after some online research and Googling of the topic, I finally buckled down and did a sample. Much to my surprise the cable stitch is actually very easy!! That sample inspired me to get started on a cable clutch that I've been dying to make. So off to my local yarn shop I went! I score a whole lot yarn from the Beehive Wool Shop and my darling Brett was even patient enough to take me to Michaels.

Excitedly I started my cable clutch, as well as some other projects:
WIP: Bamboo Cable Clutch

I've also started these headbands that are kinda useless now that the weather is warming up. I had wanted to make these when I had first moved to Victoria and my ears were falling off from the cold. I'm not a hat person, mainly cause I think I look funny in hats and really, my head is gigantic! I seriously look like a basketball with hair. So I found a solution for those that still want to stay warm but don't want to wear a hat. It's also a great solution for keeping warm and not ruining an up 'do!

Calorimetry - what the finished product should look like


WIP: The first attempt. It's actually finished, I just have to weave in the ends and sew on a button closure


WIP: The second attempt. Again, it's finished except for the ends and a button.

I've also decided to teach myself how to crochet. I've been wanting to learn how to crochet for quite some time now, but just never got around to actually doing so. That, and again I've always felt a bit intimidated. I remember when I was much younger, my friend Melanie and her grandmother tried to teach me how to crochet. I learned how to do the basic chain and how to make a basic scarf, but never ventured into anything more. I definitely didn't know how to read a pattern or do any fancy stitches. I finally dusted off the Stitch 'N Bitch book, The Happy Hooker, which I've had since it first came out (and never used) and made one giant sample of all the stitches they show you how to do in the book. I felt confident enough to try out my first crochet project. From the book I made the Fit to be Tied clutch...well...it's almost finished. I still have to sew it together, put in the lining, and thread in the ribbon.

WIP: Fit to be Tied clutch

I'm also working on my first baby project, but haven't taken any pictures of it yet. So I'll post those up as soon as I take some. In the meantime, I have my work cut out to get these projects finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...