Anyhoo, this hat wasn't really on the knitting agenda. Yes, I was planning on making the Munchkin a few hats, but those patterns were already picked out. This hat came to be after I discovered another bin in a closet labeled "crafts". I saw a bunch of yarn in there that I had forgotten about and this was one of them (sorry, I know nothing of this yarn and don't even know if it's still available in Victoria. My Ravelry search shows that this yarn hasn't been stashed or used that much). I had purchased this yarn back in 2008 when I had first moved to Victoria and wasn't serious about knitting. I had bought the yarn in hopes of making a cabled clutch of sorts. Yeah, back then I knew nothing about yarn, gauge, needles...nothing. I thought you just bought the yarn you liked, used the needle size that was given on the label, and it should look exactly like the pattern in the end. Man, I was so beyond clueless! I've come a long way since then!!
Now, I don't consider myself a yarn snob as I do have copious amounts of Cascade 220, Knit Picks, and Patons Classic Wool in my stash but I have become a fiber snob. I prefer natural fibers and while I'm not against acrylics per se, I am quite picky about the kind and amount of it, since there are some pretty nice wool/acrylic blends out there. This yarn, well, this one is somewhat in the middle for me. It's nice and light for a bulky weight but the mix of wool, acrylic, and alpaca makes it very splitty. Yet when I saw it in the bin I knew that it was going to become a hat for the kidlet. And here you have it.
I had cast on at a Friday knit night and finished the hat the next morning. I was quite surprised that I had only used a little over half of the ball. I was kinda hoping that this project would be a stash buster. I used leftover Spud & Chloë Sweater that I had used for Baby Sophisicated Stripes for the trim and braids, which I think makes the hat look polished and gives it some interest.
I didn't swatch for this project, instead I went for my gut feeling and went with a needle size that I thought would give me the fabric I wanted and hoped that it would all work out in the end. I had started out with the idea of knitting the medium size, thought I had knitted the increases for the medium, but when it came time to do the bind offs and separate the ear flaps from the front and back, turns out I had the numbers for the small. So I just went with it. Glad I did. While the hat fits the Munchkin, it's a tad too big at the crown. Can I call it a design feature and say that it's a smidge big so that there's room for the Munchkin's head to grow in to? Let's do that.
So there really isn't much to say about this project. It's a super quick and easy knit, but I guess hats are like that? The pattern was easy to follow, but I'll admit I was a little confused at first as to whom the hat was suppose to fit - a child or an adult? I had to peruse the project pages on Ravelry to see how the fit faired for those who knit the pattern for their toddlers. But other than that I had no issues with the pattern. I did have issues with my needles though. I thought I could Magic Loop the entire hat but found that it was taking me longer to knit that way. I don't have that many 16" circular needles, especially not in a 5.5mm (US 9) so I dug out my Denise Interchangeable set. Knitting in the round was definitely easier and much faster.
Now if only getting this hat onto the Munchkin was easy.
Pattern: Thorpe by Kirsten Kapur
Yarn: Filtes King Van Dyck & leftover Spud & Chloe Sweater
Colour: Teal with brown trim
Needles: Denise Interchangeable in 5.5mm (US 9)
Ravelry Link: MisoCraftyKnits' Munchkin's Thorpe