It's the last day of August but I figured it's still not too late to share what I was obsessing about all month long. If you've been a long time reader I'm sure you already know what a fickle, fickle bitch I am! It's like I have the mind of a magpie. Anyhoo, the 5 things that I've been obsessed with all month:
1. Westknits' Mystery Shawl KAL. Even though I haven't shown any photos of my shawl, other than what colour combination I decided to go with, trust me when I say I've been knitting like a fiend on this! I know there's been mixed reviews about this KAL and shawl design and whatnot, but I really like mine and don't have anything bad to say about this pattern. Yes, my rows are getting insanely long and it takes seriously 10 minutes to do just one row, but I absolutely love the colours I chose and can definitely see myself wearing this in the fall. Here's a sneak peak...this is after knitting up clue #2:
2. Chromeo. Still. Can't stop, won't stop...listening to this duo!! They are still in serious rotation on my iPod and their beats are played on a daily basis. The Munchkin and I regularly have "dance parties", especially to the song 'Night By Night', which is the music video that you see below. Every time I hear this song, I think of this video. He's so not my type, but I think Dave-1 in this video is seriously hawt! I think it's the slick moves. Oh yeah...
3. Hexipuffs. As in the little polyfil stuffed knitted honeycombs for The Beekeeper's Quilt. As in THE quilt that everyone is raving about and madly knitting on as well. I seriously can.not.stop.knitting.these!! Even though I only have 12 knit up so far. When I'm not knitting them, I'm definitely thinking about them! I really love the idea that I'm finally going to have a use for all my fingering weight leftovers. I also love the idea that I'll finally get to use those skeins of yarn that I didn't have the heart to destash/trade away but have no idea what to use them for. I feel like I have too much yarn lined up for this on top of the leftovers, but when I think about how many hexipuffs I need...yeah, it's actually not enough!
4. Canning and Jams. I am so beyond determined to try my hand at canning and making jam. I've been dreaming and thinking about this, seriously, ALL month. I would love to try making some blueberry jam, peach jam, and canning jars of peaches and dill pickles. I've been searching for pots and and all the accessories needed for successful canning, and spotted a starter kit that I must get my hands on. The wheels are turning...
5. Signature Needle Arts. My friend Michelle was über lucky to get to go to Sock Summit back in July. Not only did she score an incredible haul of yarny goodness, but she was also able to score me a set of circular needles from Signature Needle Arts. I've been dying to try these needles out and now that I have a pair of my own, I can definitely see what the fuss is all about. Don't get me wrong, I still have major love for my Knit Picks interchangeables, but if I had a choice I would definitely go for the Signatures. I use 3.5mm (US 4) needles the most and had contemplated between a 32" or 40" cable (I went with a 32"), so that's what Michelle brought back. I've been knitting Emelie with these needles and I swear they are the reason why I managed to knit that cardigan up as fast as I have! Signatures are so amazing that it's my new mission to save up my pennies so that I can get a set in each size available!
I should also make an honoury mention to my month long yarn diet that I had put myself on. I had gone a little overboard with the yarn purchases and swapping in July and decided that the month of August should be a no-buy month. Even though the month isn't technically over, I did it! I didn't buy any yarn and really held back on the swaps. The only time I allowed myself to swap was when a skein of STR or a colour of Wollmeise that I've been seeking was put up.
Now that I'm jobless I don't know if that means I'll have more time to craft, but it definitely means I won't be purchasing as much yarn as I would like or normally would get. But you know what? That's ok. I have so many projects lined up that I already have the yarn for that I really don't need to add to my stash since I probably won't get to the new yarn for quite a while (sounds like I'm trying to convince myself of this, huh?).
Ok September...bring it on! Whatcha got??