Thursday, May 5, 2011

Finished: Sweet Monkey Socks

Sweet Monkey
Here we have a sock pattern that I'm sure many of you have seen and most likely have already knit - the Monkey sock pattern by the talented Cookie A. I should point out that I used the free Knitty version and not the one from Cookie A's newest book, Knit. Sock. Love.
This was my very first time knitting a Cookie A pattern and I'm pretty sure it won't be the last. The yarn I used is also the very first skein of SweetGeorgia Yarns that I had purchased that started the obsession.

I had actually tried knitting this pattern last summer while on a road trip to the Okanagan. In that attempt I had used the recommended needle size (cause it was the only needle size that I had brought with me), and the sock ended up way too tight! Mind you, I didn't knit a swatch, even though the pattern told me to do so cause the stitch pattern doesn't have a lot of give to it and so you kinda need to know if you're getting gauge or not. I chose to live dangerously. Luckily I had knit only one sock up to the heel flap before realizing that the sock wasn't going to fit. This time around I moved up a needle size and crossed my fingers that this was the solution to the tightness problem.

Sweet Monkey - Side Solo 2

Well, now that the socks are finished and I've knit through an entire pair of socks in Knitter's Denial, the socks turned out a little big! I don't think I was meant to have Monkey socks. This pattern and I are not a good mix. I have a sneaking suspicion that Monkeys are designed for those who have chicken legs, not for peeps with thick trunks. Like me.

I did the majority of the knitting heading to and from, and the short time that I was in Nelson. These socks will forever remind me of my Grandma's funeral. The pattern is actually super easy and just flew off the needles. I know I say that about every pair of socks that I knit, but seriously, these are quite the quick knit. Even with the purling parts, these are quick. So many people have commented about how they hated the purling, but I thought it was fine...and I normally hate purling! There are versions out there written without the purling for those of you who want to knit this pattern but are holding back because of the purls. I find those sections to be so small that it doesn't really matter anyways.

Sweet Monkey - Side

I wish I could say that I would knit these again, but I know I won't. I don't think this pattern is for me, even though I love the looks of them. I'll still wear my pair but I know that after a few hours they'll start to sag. A lot. Sadly the yarn is superwash too or else I would've tried felting them slightly to get them to fit. Oh well! What can you do? These are project #4 for my 12 in 2011 goal, I've always wanted to knit these and now I have, and another pair of hand knit socks to add to my sock drawer. Oh wow, am I becoming a process knitter???

Nah!

Sweet Monkey 2

Sock details:
Pattern: Monkey by Cookie A.
Colour: Boheme
Needles: Knit Picks Nickel Plated circulars in 2.25mm (US 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...