Thursday, March 11, 2010

Finished: Here 'n There Scarf

Introducing my one and only weaving project for the Ravelympics: the Here 'n There Scarf. I honestly thought that I would be churning out the weaving projects, but had completely underestimated just how much time some of the knitting projects would take up. Oh well, there's always next year. And who knows, if I actually plan/sketch out some weaving ideas beforehand and get organized, maybe then I can weave up projects like no tomorrow.

So back to the scarf. I used a lot of Cascade 220 for the warp, with Natural as the main color. The only non-Cascade 220 yarn in the warp is the bright blue yarn, that one is Patons Classic Wool. I had that in my stash for some weird reason, just like the other colors. Except for the Natural, that skein was purchased with another project in mind but after some careful consideration I realized that I wasn't going to need 6 skeins of the color for the project (which I'll tell you about if I ever get around to it!). The weft yarn is Rivulette's Here N There, which is the newest addition to her line of handspun yarns. It's a self-striping single-ply yarn made from the softest merino wool. I absolutely love this yarn and was actually a bit hesitant about using it. My plan was to keep it in its beautiful skein form and have it sit on my night table so that I can admire it every time I wake up or go to bed. Yes, I'm a yarn geek.

Now here's a ton of scarf photos (ok, that was a euphemism for "image barf"):






This scarf took about an hour and a half to weave, which I did the night before the closing ceremony. I contemplated about what to do with the fringe and opted to go with the simple knot rather than the twisted that I was thinking about (memories of the Dirty Martini Scarf came to mind!).

I'm quite happy with how this scarf turned out, I just wish that my edges were better. I've been noticing in the last few weaving projects that I've been having tension issues with the selvage ends of the warp. For this scarf I tried to pad it out towards the end of the weaving but I think I was too late in trying to correct the problem. I think I'm going to have to look into lashing and how to do it to my warp for future projects...

3 comments:

  1. Pretty! It says "sophisticated spring" to me somehow, something like spring poking into winter with those colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie:
    Thanks Dude! ;)

    Wendy:
    Hmm...I never thought of it in that way. I like it!! :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...