Saturday, January 16, 2010

Go Team BitchyBees!!

My fabulous knitting group has decided last minute to team up and join the Ravelympics on Ravelry!! For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a Knitting Olympics that coincides with the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics!

The main rule is to challenge yourself - whether that be to knit your first pair of socks, or if you're a sock knitter than trying to knit a sweater, that kind of challenge. I'm not going to go into massive detail about all the rules, event categories, and such, but I will say that there will be a mass cast-on commencing at 6pm PST on February 12...when the opening ceremonies begin in Vancouver! All projects started during this time must be finished by 11:59pm PST on February 28, which means participants have a little over 2 weeks to either finish as many projects as possible or to get that major challenging one done. Talk about pressure!

I'm thinking of knitting my first ever pair of socks as one of my "events", and possibly entering a bunch of WIPs in the WIPs - Dancing and WIPs - Finishing categories. I noticed that there was a category for weaving (!!) so I'm thinking of entering that as well...depending on what I can conjure up in my stash that I can use, since I've realized the night before the Bees' annual post-Christmas knit night party that all the yarn in my stash has been bought/designated for/to projects that I'm planning on doing (and hopefully get around to doing them this year!). The yarn that I do have that have no specific project in mind for are all acrylics yarns that I had purchased at either Micheals or Walmart or somewhere way back before I started to take my knitting seriously, and I'm not sure if I want to use that. After all, I would like any project I do to end up being worn and/or used. Hmmm...I just might have to make some trips to all my LYS and suss out possibilities before I put myself on a self-imposed yarn shopping ban...

On a completely different subject, my lack of posts this week is due to me dedicating all my time to the munchkin and really getting a glimpse of what single mothers go through while Brett is in Whistler doing Olympic driver training. It's times like these that I really wish I had family who lived in Victoria, or even friends with kids who wouldn't mind looking after another one for an hour or two. Showers are such a luxury when the S.O. is away! Even a simple task like washing dishes can be challenging, since my little one realizes I'm not paying 100% attention on him and insists on trying to get it by any means...usually it's handing me every single toy he owns, which involves me having to take off a rubber glove and placing the toy in a pile on the counter then quickly shove the glove back on and scrub a dish as fast as possible before he arrives at my feet with another toy. I just hope Brett realizes that when he comes back Monday I'll be demanding some alone time!

With that said, I have a few hours before it's my bedtime and I should really get some knitting, sketching, and cutting done. And maybe think up of some Ravelympics project ideas...

'Til next time, Happy Crafting and Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Oh cool! That should be fun. I was thinking about joining a team for the ravelympics. I just need to figure out what project to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's going to be loads of fun too! I just hope that I don't put too put pressure on myself and expect myself to be knitting up all these projects and actually be finished within 2 weeks!
    You should definitely join a team! You can make a project in your Ravelry queue!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...