Tuesday, December 22, 2009

WIP: Hooters! Sweater

I've had this sweater in my Ravelry queue for practically forever. Ok, I'm exaggerating. I've only had it in my queue since June. But it's been at the very top of my list ever since I had spied the sweater and pattern while perusing the patterns on Ravelry. It was suppose to be my very first sweater that I would have made for myself, but then got intimidated by the fact that the pattern called for short rows...a technique that I've never done before. So I had put it on hold for something more simple, which was the Tilted Duster. Then I had bought yarn to make this so-called intimidating sweater, only to realize that I didn't really fancy the color of the yarn for the project and ended up using that yarn for the Berkshire sweater. I finally bought the yarn again, this time in a color that I had originally wanted to make the sweater in.

So much unnecessary hassle for a sweater! But it was all worth it! I'm über happy that I decided against using the "dark grey" wool, which was more of a dark chocolate, and held out for the medium grey that I had originally envisioned this sweater to be. So far the knitting has been going faster than I thought it would, thanks in part to the bulky yarn and larger than what I've been working with lately needles. This project has been great to work on while watching TV and movies, and for doing a quick row here and there while the little one is preoccupied with his toys and books since the main body is all knit stitches worked in the round. I thought I would get pretty bored pretty fast with all this Stockinette, but it's actually been quite nice to do some mindless knitting. I'm really looking forward to starting up the yoke, where all the owls appear. I'm also pretty excited that this project is pretty much as seamless as you can get.

But what I'm even more excited about is the fact that I've been working on this sweater all weekend and I've got the body, one sleeve, and a quarter of the other sleeve finished already! I think one more night (after the little one heads to bed, that is!) and I'll have the second sleeve done and then onto joining all the pieces together to start up the owls! YAY!! I just might get this project completely finished by the time the year is over...ends woven, seams sewn, blocked and all! How exciting! Since I'm on such a momentum with this project, I'm going to take advantage of the wee one's nap time today to get some more knitting done.

'Til then, happy knitting my crafty friends!!

3 comments:

  1. I so want to make this sweater. I have it in my ravelry queue too! I think this will be the first winter project I start next year. I really like it in grey too. I have seen other colours made but the grey is the best! p.s Love your lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that my Christmas knitting is done I also grabbed my Owls sweater for some travel knitting. I knit a whole sleeve and a half on the plane alone and am DETERMINED to finish my (also grey) owls sweater over the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat:
    I couldn't imagine it in any other color. My friends have been bugging me that I've been "playing it safe" by knitting so many items in grey or black...maybe I'll try color on a different project. For now, Owls will have to be grey!

    Mae:
    It's such a fast knit, eh? Hopefully I'll be able to come to a Tuesday knit group and be able to see yours! I was hoping to finish by the time the year is over, but alas, haven't been able to squeze much knitting in during the holidays!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...